4 more Muslims charged in Malaysia church attacks

February 3, 2010 05:03

KUALA LUMPUR, Malaysia — A Malaysian court charged four more Muslims with attacking churches in a row over the use of the word "Allah" by Christians.

Three men and a teenager were charged Tuesday in northern Perak state with throwing firebombs at two churches and a convent school on Jan. 10, prosecutor Hamdan Hamzah said. They face a maximum prison term of 20 years.

The three men, aged 19, 21 and 28, entered no plea, while the 17-year-old, charged in a juvenile court, pleaded guilty to the offense, Hamdan and court officials said. Hamdan had wrongly said earlier three pleaded not guilty.

The minor's case will next be heard on March 24, while the others will be brought before court again next week, Hamdan said. They failed to post bail and have been jailed, court officials said.

Three other Muslims were charged last week with setting fire to a church on Jan. 8, the first and most serious incident in a series of attacks and vandalism at churches, a Sikh temple, mosques and Muslim prayer rooms.

Related Content

Breaking news
March 18, 2018
China's Premier Li re-elected by parliament to premiership


Israel Weather
  • 15 - 31
    Beer Sheva
    17 - 28
    Tel Aviv - Yafo
  • 16 - 25
    16 - 26
  • 23 - 31
    16 - 31