After delays, US massive bunker-buster ready for use

By
July 26, 2012 19:12

In face of possible military intervention in Syria and a strike against Iran, the United States has announced that its largest bunker-buster missile capable of penetrating underground facilities is operational and ready for use if needed.

Called the Massive Ordnance Penetrator (MOP), the 30,000-pound bomb which contains over 5,000 pounds of explosives was originally designed to take out hardened fortifications in Iran and North Korea. The announcement that it is operational comes at a time that the western world is increasingly concerned over the potential proliferation of Syria’s chemical weapons to Hezbollah.

“If it needed to go today, we would be ready to do that,” United States Air Force Secretary Michael Donley told the Air Force Times earlier this week. “We continue to do testing on the bomb to refine its capabilities, and that is ongoing. We also have the capability to go with existing configuration today.”


Related Content

Breaking news
April 20, 2018
Man linked to 9/11 attacks on U.S. captured in Syria, Pentagon says

By REUTERS

Israel Weather
  • 15 - 27
    Beer Sheva
    18 - 23
    Tel Aviv - Yafo
  • 15 - 23
    Jerusalem
    16 - 22
    Haifa
  • 20 - 36
    Elat
    18 - 28
    Tiberias