Arab League to pursue Syria efforts after UN setback

By REUTERS
February 5, 2012 14:54

CAIRO - Arab states will not stop their efforts to resolve the Syrian crisis even though their bid to secure UN backing was blocked by Russia and China, the Arab League's secretary-general said in a statement obtained by Reuters on Sunday.

Nabil Elaraby also said the Russian and Chinese veto "does not negate that there is clear international support for the resolutions of the Arab League", which had sought UN Security Council backing for a decision that called for Syrian President Bashar Assad to step aside so talks with the opposition could start.

The League statement was expected to be issued more widely later on Sunday.


Related Content

Breaking news
April 24, 2018
Israel says will not forcibly deport migrants as previously planned

By JPOST.COM STAFF

Israel Weather
  • 16 - 31
    Beer Sheva
    17 - 25
    Tel Aviv - Yafo
  • 15 - 27
    Jerusalem
    16 - 27
    Haifa
  • 19 - 32
    Elat
    18 - 32
    Tiberias