At least 19 killed in clashes at Congo army base

June 6, 2012 16:34

GOMA, Democratic Republic of Congo - Congolese soldiers and rebels clashed at an army base in eastern Congo, the government and a rebel said on Wednesday, killing at least 19 people in the latest outbreak of violence that has forced tens of thousands to flee their homes.

The government said the attack had been carried out by Mai Mai fighters, linked to ex-rebels who were at one point integrated into the army but deserted in recent weeks to protest Kinshasa's decision to arrest a renegade general, Bosco Ntaganda.

Their uprising is believed to have dragged in gunmen from neighboring Rwanda, complicating fragile relations between the two nations. Clashes in the last two months have forced over 100,000 people to flee their homes.

The attack by Mai Mai fighters loyal to General Kakule Sikula Lafontaine on Tuesday morning targeted an army base in the Lubero territory of North Kivu province, government spokesman Lambert Mende said.

Related Content

Breaking news
March 18, 2018
Russia says over 5,000 people left Syria's Eastern Ghouta on Sunday


Israel Weather
  • 15 - 31
    Beer Sheva
    17 - 28
    Tel Aviv - Yafo
  • 16 - 25
    16 - 26
  • 23 - 31
    16 - 31