BP removes WW2 mine from Forties pipeline

By REUTERS
August 3, 2011 19:18

LONDON - British oil major BP has removed an unexploded German World War Two mine that was near the subsea Forties pipeline and will restart it as planned on Aug. 5 after maintenance, a spokesman said on Wednesday.

"BP confirms that the ordnance that had been lying next to the main Forties pipeline, 40 km off the coast of Peterhead, has been successfully removed and towed 4km to a safe area in preparation for disposal," the company said in an emailed statement.

A BP spokesman told Reuters that maintenance work planned to coincide with the removal would finish on Aug. 5 after a five-day outage.

The North Sea oil pipeline handles about 40 percent of the UK's production.


Related Content

Breaking news
April 21, 2018
Japan PM Abe says N. Korean move is 'forward motion' but results essential

By REUTERS

Israel Weather
  • 14 - 25
    Beer Sheva
    16 - 22
    Tel Aviv - Yafo
  • 12 - 21
    Jerusalem
    15 - 21
    Haifa
  • 19 - 36
    Elat
    17 - 28
    Tiberias