BP says Halliburton destroyed Gulf spill evidence

By REUTERS
December 5, 2011 23:34




BP accused Halliburton Co of destroying evidence that the oilfield services company did inadequate cement work on the Gulf of Mexico oil well that blew out last year, and asked a federal judge to punish Halliburton.

The accusation, in a BP court filing, raises the stakes ahead of a trial, expected in late February, to assign blame and damages for the April 2010 blowout of the Macondo well, which triggered the largest offshore oil spill in U.S. history.

Halliburton did not immediately respond to requests for comment. The Houston-based company is the world's second-largest oilfield services provider.

Citing recent depositions and Halliburton's own documents, BP said Halliburton "intentionally" destroyed the results of slurry testing for the well, in part to "eliminate any risk that this evidence would be used against it at trial."


Related Content

Breaking news
January 23, 2018
South Korea government rejects 'Pyongyang Olympics' criticism

By REUTERS

Israel Weather
  • 9 - 18
    Beer Sheva
    14 - 18
    Tel Aviv - Yafo
  • 9 - 12
    Jerusalem
    12 - 15
    Haifa
  • 11 - 22
    Elat
    12 - 19
    Tiberias