Bahrain to push on with medics trial, not drop cases

By REUTERS
March 21, 2012 00:17

DUBAI - Bahrain will go ahead with the prosecution of 20 medics who treated wounded protesters during an uprising last year, despite a statement suggesting most of the cases would be dropped, the justice minister said on Tuesday.

The prosecution of doctors drew international criticism, with rights groups saying the medics were being punished for helping civilians hurt by state forces during anti-government demonstrations.

Bahrain's Information Affairs Authority said last week authorities would pursue criminal charges against only five medics, while transferring the other cases to a professional tribunal.


Related Content

Breaking news
April 22, 2018
Report: Police Say 'No Criminal Suspicion' in Avicii's Death

By REUTERS

Israel Weather
  • 14 - 22
    Beer Sheva
    16 - 20
    Tel Aviv - Yafo
  • 13 - 19
    Jerusalem
    16 - 20
    Haifa
  • 19 - 29
    Elat
    17 - 27
    Tiberias