Cambodian mother and baby die from bird flu

By ASSOCIATED PRESS
February 24, 2011 09:39




PHNOM PENH, Cambodia — Health officials say a Cambodian mother and her 11-month-old son died from bird flu after preparing and eating meat contaminated by the deadly H5N1 virus.

Cambodia's Ministry of Health and the World Health Organization issued a statement late Wednesday saying the 19-year-old mother died Feb. 12 and her son on Feb. 17. They got sick two days after handling and eating infected poultry during a visit with relatives in eastern Prey Veng province.

Cooked meat is safe to eat, but undercooked or raw poultry can infect humans if ingested. Slaughtering or preparing sick or dead birds can also cause infection.


Related Content

Breaking news
January 24, 2018
Trump to speak soon with Turkey's Erdogan on Syria offensive

By REUTERS

Israel Weather
  • 9 - 17
    Beer Sheva
    12 - 16
    Tel Aviv - Yafo
  • 6 - 12
    Jerusalem
    9 - 14
    Haifa
  • 11 - 22
    Elat
    12 - 16
    Tiberias