CAIRO - One person was shot dead and 18 injured in clashes between security forces and angry soccer fans in Egypt's Port Said after their club al-Masry was banned for two seasons following the country's worst stadium disaster, a medical source said.
The Egyptian Football Association (EFA) said the club was banned for two seasons following the pitch invasion that killed 74 fans last month when Port Said-based al-Masry beat Cairo's Al Ahli, the most successful club in Africa.
Port Said Stadium, where the stampede took place, would be closed for three years, the EFA said.
Witnesses said military police fired shots in the air to disperse hundreds of soccer fans protesting outside the Suez Canal Authority building in Port Said.
The clashes began late on Friday and continued into the early hours of Saturday, witnesses said.