Demjanjuk lawyer calls for case to be closed over health, evidence

August 6, 2009 18:27

John Demjanjuk's attorney filed two motions Thursday for the Nazi death-camp case against his client to be closed, arguing that the 89-year-old is not fit to stand trial and that the evidence against him is shaky. Attorney Ulrich Busch said the health of the retired auto worker has been deteriorating. Doctors last month declared Demjanjuk fit to stand trial on charges that he was an accessory to the murder of 27,900 people at the Sobibor death camp in Nazi-occupied Poland. They said court hearings should be restricted to two 90-minute sessions per day, but Busch said his client is not even up to that. Busch said he met with his client for two hours on Tuesday and they had to take long and frequent breaks for Demjanjuk to rest.

Related Content

Breaking news
March 19, 2018
Security forces map out blueprint of terrorist's home for demolition


Israel Weather
  • 15 - 34
    Beer Sheva
    16 - 30
    Tel Aviv - Yafo
  • 14 - 27
    15 - 29
  • 18 - 32
    16 - 32