Last remaining seats to the Jpost 2017 Annual Conference! Get your special offer now

Egypt court sentences 21 to death for stadium disaster

ByREUTERS
January 26, 2013 10:22

CAIRO - An Egyptian court sentenced to death on Saturday 21 people accused of involvement in the Port Said soccer stadium disaster in which 74 people were killed last year, the judge said.

The judge read out a list of 21 names who had been "referred to the Mufti", a phrase used to denote a death verdict as all such sentences must reviewed by the Egypt's top religious authority.

The court was ruling in the case of 73 people charged with involvement in the Feb. 1, 2012 disaster. The verdicts for others in the case will be announced in March 9.

Share this article via
from around the web
Related Content
Breaking news
April 25, 2017
Azerbaijan says would support extension of oil output cut deal

By REUTERS

Top Stories
Israel Weather
  • 13 - 27
    Beer Sheva
    15 - 23
    Tel Aviv - Yafo
  • 15 - 23
    Jerusalem
    13 - 23
    Haifa
  • 19 - 29
    Elat
    20 - 30
    Tiberias