Egypt to re-try Copt army critic on hunger strike

October 11, 2011 18:27

CAIRO - An Egyptian military court accepted on Tuesday an appeal for a re-trial of a Coptic Christian blogger who was jailed on charges of spreading false information about the country's military in a case that drew criticism from rights groups around the world.

Michael Nabil, 25, began a hunger strike on Aug. 23 to protest against his conviction for posting remarks saying the army tried to help quell an uprising that unseated President Hosni Mubarak in Feb. 11.

Nabil's family told rights group Amnesty International last week that the activist's health had deteriorated and the authorities had prevented him from taking medication. They said he was suffering from renal problems, anaemia and scabies.

Related Content

Breaking news
March 20, 2018
Buses pull up at Russian embassy as expelled diplomats prepare to leave London


Israel Weather
  • 13 - 28
    Beer Sheva
    12 - 22
    Tel Aviv - Yafo
  • 13 - 23
    12 - 22
  • 18 - 31
    14 - 28