Envoys want NATO answers about strike on Libyan TV

By REUTERS
August 10, 2011 02:01

UNITED NATIONS - Russia, India and other UN Security Council delegations voiced concerns on Tuesday about NATO strikes on Libyan state television last month, saying they were awaiting results of a NATO investigation.

The criticism of NATO's strikes came on the same day Tripoli accused the alliance of killing dozens of civilians and highlighted deepening divisions on the Security Council over a six-month war that most delegations originally hoped would last no more than a few weeks.

Speaking after a closed-door meeting of the 15-nation council, at which the July 30 attack on the Libyan broadcaster was discussed at length, several envoys said they wanted NATO to clarify what happened and why the facility was targeted.

"We are very concerned about this (attack)," Russian UN Ambassador Vitaly Churkin told reporters. "We have urged them to stop this ... We were told they (NATO) are investigating the bombing of the TV station."


Related Content

Breaking news
April 20, 2018
France says Russia obstructing access to chemical weapon attack site

By REUTERS

Israel Weather
  • 16 - 27
    Beer Sheva
    18 - 23
    Tel Aviv - Yafo
  • 16 - 23
    Jerusalem
    16 - 22
    Haifa
  • 23 - 36
    Elat
    17 - 28
    Tiberias