WASHINGTON - US Secretary of State Hillary Rodham Clinton on Monday told CNN that she assumes responsibility for last month's deadly attack on the US diplomatic mission in Benghazi, Libya.
"I take responsibility" for what happened on September 11, Clinton said in an interview during a visit to Lima, Peru.
She added: "I want to avoid some kind of political gotcha," citing the November 6 presidential election. She insisted President Barack Obama and Vice President Joe Biden had not been involved in security decisions related to the consulate.
The attacks on the Benghazi mission, and the Obama administration's response to the violence, has become a contentious election issue and Clinton's comments came a day before the second presidential debate between Obama and Republican opponent Mitt Romney.
Stay on top of the news - get the Jerusalem Post headlines direct to your inbox!