Iran opposition leader vows to continue struggle

By ASSOCIATED PRESS
June 12, 2010 13:12

TEHERAN, Iran — Iran's opposition leader pledged Saturday to continue the struggle against the government, despite canceling a mass protest for the anniversary of last June's disputed presidential election.

A statement by Mir Hossein Mousavi said that the opposition will "continue our peaceful methods."

Mousavi and another top figure, Mahdi Karroubi, called off the planned rally, citing fears for the lives of the protesters in the face of a violent government crackdown.

The opposition said at least 80 protesters have died so far in street clashes between security forces and protesters in the post-election turmoil — Iran's worst unrest since the 1979 Islamic Revolution.

Mousavi said that while the opposition "may put off its presence in one arena," it will persevere through other ways.


Related Content

Breaking news
April 19, 2018
Report: EU gave asylum to more than half a million refugees in 2017

By REUTERS

Israel Weather
  • 15 - 30
    Beer Sheva
    18 - 25
    Tel Aviv - Yafo
  • 15 - 26
    Jerusalem
    16 - 25
    Haifa
  • 20 - 36
    Elat
    17 - 32
    Tiberias