Iraq says no success tracing killers of Iranian dissidents

By REUTERS
November 26, 2013 15:38




BAGHDAD - Iraq is hunting militants, still unidentified, who led a deadly attack on an Iranian dissident camp near Baghdad and dismisses suggestions its own security forces were behind the violence, a senior government official said.

More than 50 people were killed at the dissident Mujahadin-e-Khalq (MEK) group's Camp Ashraf in September in an attack the United Nations described as "an atrocious crime" and which drew condemnation from the United States and Britain. Assailants took time to conduct execution-style killings and plant bombs.

MEK, which the US State Department removed from its list of terrorist organisations last year, wants Iran's clerical leaders overthrown and fought on former Iraqi dictator Saddam Hussein's side during the Iran-Iraq war in 1980s.

The group, which has accused Iraqi security forces of being behind the attack, is no longer welcome in Iraq under the Shi'ite Muslim-led government that came to power after US-led forces toppled Saddam in 2003.


Related Content

Breaking news
January 17, 2018
U.S. Senate advances bill to renew NSA's internet surveillance program

By REUTERS

Israel Weather
  • 8 - 16
    Beer Sheva
    12 - 17
    Tel Aviv - Yafo
  • 7 - 11
    Jerusalem
    11 - 15
    Haifa
  • 12 - 20
    Elat
    11 - 17
    Tiberias