Islamist candidate rejects Egypt vote result

May 28, 2012 15:24

CAIRO - A moderate Islamist candidate said on Monday he did not accept the result of Egypt's presidential vote, saying the election had not been honest, in some of the strongest criticism yet of polls to pick a replacement for ousted leader Hosni Mubarak.

The official results will be announced later on Monday, but unofficial tallies compiled by political groups and media have indicated the Muslim Brotherhood's candidate and Mubarak's last prime minister will go to a run-off in June.

"I reject these results and do not recognize them," said Abdel Moneim Abol Fotouh, a former Brotherhood member, alleging that votes had been bought and representatives of candidates had been denied access to polling stations during the count.

Preliminary results put Abol Fotouh in fourth place.

Read the full story here.

Related Content

Breaking news
March 21, 2018
Liberman: I regret allowing publication of Israel attack on Syria nuke


Israel Weather
  • 14 - 30
    Beer Sheva
    14 - 25
    Tel Aviv - Yafo
  • 16 - 24
    12 - 24
  • 20 - 33
    14 - 29