Israel denies report Obama aide shared Iran war plan

July 29, 2012 12:55

A senior Israeli official denied on Sunday a newspaper report that US President Barack Obama's national security adviser had briefed Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu on a US contingency plan to attack Iran should diplomacy fail to curb its nuclear program.

The Israeli liberal Haaretz daily on Sunday quoted an unnamed US official as saying the adviser, Thomas Donilon, had described the plan over dinner with Netanyahu earlier this month.

"Nothing in the article is correct. Donilon did not meet the prime minister for dinner, he did not meet him one-on-one, nor did he present operational plans to attack Iran," the senior official, who declined to be named given the sensitivity of the issue, told Reuters.

Haaretz said the briefing was the most significant effort by high-level US officials who had visited Israel in the past month, including Secretary of State Hillary Clinton, to try to dissuade Israel from launching its own military strike on Iran.

Related Content

Breaking news
March 18, 2018
China's Premier Li re-elected by parliament to premiership


Israel Weather
  • 9 - 31
    Beer Sheva
    11 - 28
    Tel Aviv - Yafo
  • 12 - 25
    11 - 26
  • 18 - 31
    12 - 31