Israel maintains official silence on opening of Rafah

May 28, 2011 21:51

Despite the opening of the Rafah border crossing on Saturday, Israel continued to maintain an official silence, with neither the Prime Minister's Office nor the Foreign Ministry making any formal statements on the matter.

One government source said that Israel's primary concern about the border crossing was security, "and we are pursuing those concerns directly with the Egyptians."

Israel's primary concern is that the crossing will not be used to smuggle more weapons into Gaza. Prime Minister Binyamin Netanyahu said during his visit to Washington last week that there were currently some 10,000 missiles in Gaza, some of which could reach beyond Tel Aviv.

Related Content

Breaking news
March 21, 2018
UN Ambassador Danon says Israeli strike on Syrian reactor 'necessary for security'


Israel Weather
  • 14 - 30
    Beer Sheva
    14 - 25
    Tel Aviv - Yafo
  • 16 - 24
    12 - 24
  • 20 - 33
    14 - 29