Montenegrin jailed for 45 years over Sarajevo killings

March 29, 2013 13:35

SARAJEVO - A Montenegrin warlord was jailed for 45 years on Friday for murder, rape and torture of non-Serb civilians in Sarajevo in the Bosnian war, receiving the longest sentence handed down so far by the Bosnian war crimes court.

Veselin Vlahovic, nicknamed Batko, was found guilty of the murders of 31 people, rapes of at least 13 women and torture and robbery of dozens of civilians in Grbavica and Vraca, Serb-occupied areas of Sarajevo, in 1992, said presiding judge Zoran Bozic.

Vlahovic, known as the "Monster of Grbavica", carried out "horrid, cruel and manifold criminal acts", Bozic said.

Prosecutors compiled a 65-count indictment against Vlahovic, the most extensive ever for crimes committed in the Bosnian 1992-95 war. The 45-year sentence is the maximum that can be given for such crimes.

Bozic said Vlahovic, a member of a paramilitary group allied to the Bosnian Serb army, often demanded ransoms of money or gold for his captives.

Related Content

Breaking news
March 23, 2018
Prosecutor says one person arrested after southern France attack


Israel Weather
  • 16 - 38
    Beer Sheva
    20 - 36
    Tel Aviv - Yafo
  • 18 - 31
    18 - 32
  • 25 - 35
    20 - 34