Morocco says breaks al-Qaida cell sending youth to Mali

By REUTERS
November 24, 2012 21:51




RABAT - Morocco said on Saturday it had broken up a militant cell that was training youths to send them to fight in Mali, which has become the focus of international concern over the spread of Al-Qaida in the Islamic Maghreb (AQIM).

The interior ministry said in a statement on state news agency MAP it broke up a cell operating in the cities of Nador, Casablanca, Guercif, Laayoune and Kalaat Sraghna.

Around 20 people had been sent to fight with AQIM and al-Qaida ally the Movement for Unity and Jihad in West Africa, and others had been sent to Libya, it said.

Morocco, a Western ally, often says it has broken militant cells accused of plotting inside and outside the country.

European leaders are growing increasingly anxious that Mali could turn into a platform for militant attacks, including in Europe.

Related Content
Breaking news
October 17, 2017
Report: Harvey Weinstein resigns from Weinstein Co board

By REUTERS

Israel Weather
  • 15 - 31
    Beer Sheva
    17 - 29
    Tel Aviv - Yafo
  • 17 - 26
    Jerusalem
    17 - 28
    Haifa
  • 20 - 32
    Elat
    19 - 32
    Tiberias