Mumbai gunman recants confession, alleges torture

Mumbai gunman recants co

December 18, 2009 10:41

The accused gunman in last year's bloody siege of Mumbai retracted his confession Friday, saying police tortured him into admitting his role in the attacks that left 166 people dead. Mohammed Ajmal Kasab, 21, who is being tried in a special court - and who can be seen carrying an assault rifle in photographs taken during the siege of Mumbai's main train station - told the judge he came to Mumbai as a tourist and was arrested 20 days before the siege began. On the day the attacks started, Kasab said police took him from his cell because he resembled one of the gunmen. They then shot him to make it look as if he had been involved in the attacks and re-arrested him. Kasab said he was initially detained after wandering around the city late at night looking for a place to stay and his Pakistani citizenship aroused suspicion.

Related Content

Breaking news
March 17, 2018
Merkel defends German trade surplus, says trying to boost domestic demand


Israel Weather
  • 10 - 25
    Beer Sheva
    11 - 20
    Tel Aviv - Yafo
  • 12 - 18
    13 - 20
  • 19 - 28
    12 - 25