No media coverage of returning US troop remains

August 9, 2011 01:48

WASHINGTON - The Pentagon said on Monday that news media will not be able to cover the return of the remains of 30 US troops killed when militants shot down their helicopter in Afghanistan over the weekend.

President Barack Obama's administration relaxed an 18-year Pentagon ban on media coverage of returning US war dead in February 2009, giving grieving families the choice of whether to allow cameras at the solemn arrival ceremony.

But the Pentagon said on Monday the catastrophic nature of the crash created a special situation, one in which families would be unable to give media permission to document the event because remains were so far unidentified.

Related Content

Breaking news
March 23, 2018
Police kill attacker at supermarket in southern France, says source


Israel Weather
  • 16 - 38
    Beer Sheva
    20 - 36
    Tel Aviv - Yafo
  • 18 - 31
    18 - 32
  • 25 - 35
    20 - 34