The al-Qaida-linked Jabhat al-Nusra (Nusra Front) on Thursday claimed responsibility for the attack on Syria's Interior Ministry, AFP reported, which killed at least five people and wounded Syrian Interior Minister Mohammed Ibrahim al-Shaar.
"Thank God, we targeted the interior ministry building in Kfar Sousa district in Damascus at 5:30 p.m. on Wednesday, December 12," the jihadist organization wrote on its Twitter account.
The group said that two suicide bombers detonated explosives belts in the building and that two car bombs were set off outside.
Earlier this week, the United States designated the Nusra Front as a foreign terrorist organization and said it was trying to hijack the revolt on behalf of al-Qaida in Iraq.
In response, the leader of Syria's opposition coalition, Mouaz Alkhatib, urged the US to review its decision, saying religion was a legitimate motive for Syrian rebels.
Stay on top of the news - get the Jerusalem Post headlines direct to your inbox!