Olmert, Halutz firmly defend Second Lebanon War

July 12, 2012 19:55

Former prime minister Ehud Olmert and ex-IDF chief of staff Dan Halutz gave an passionate defense of the Second Lebanon War on Thursday, claiming that it contributed to bolstering Israel’s deterrence in the region.

Speaking just days after he was acquitted on major corruption charges, Olmert said that the 34-day war changed Israel’s strategic reality.

"It brought about a deterrence that had never previously existed on the Lebanese border," Olmert said.

Halutz said that if he was in the same position today as he was on July 12, 2006 he would urge the government again to go to war against Hezbollah.

“The decision to go to war was correct, justified and proper,” Halutz said.

Related Content

Breaking news
March 18, 2018
Jerusalem terror victim dies of wounds


Israel Weather
  • 16 - 34
    Beer Sheva
    16 - 30
    Tel Aviv - Yafo
  • 16 - 27
    16 - 29
  • 22 - 32
    16 - 32