MUSCAT - An Omani court sentenced six people to jail terms ranging from a year to 18 months for slander over internet posts against the government that it called "abusive and provocative," an opposition activist present at the hearing said on Monday.
The verdict, issued on Sunday, was a further move by Oman to deter unrest inspired by Arab Spring revolts last year.
The six men were also accused of "violating information technology regulations" and were fined 1,000 rial ($2,600) each, the state news agency ONA reported. Rulings in other, similar cases are expected on Sept. 16, the agency added.
Activist Ahmed bin Said, who was present at the hearing, said the defendants had criticized the government for not making public the names of officials who are under corruption investigation.
Stay on top of the news - get the Jerusalem Post headlines direct to your inbox!