One dead as shelling of Yemeni city continues

By REUTERS
December 3, 2011 14:00




SANAA - One activist was killed as government forces shelled Yemen's protest hotbed, Taiz, for a third straight day on Saturday, residents said, despite a call by the country's acting ruler to end the fighting.

The death raised to at least 16 the number of people killed in three days of fighting between troops loyal to outgoing President Ali Abdullah Saleh and opposition fighters.

Saleh handed over power last month to Vice-President Abd-Rabbu Mansour Hadi, seeking to defuse the opposition to his rule, but the violence gave no sign of letting up.

Residents said government forces were using artillery and tank shells and rocket fire in residential areas on Saturday in western Taiz, trapping some 3,000 families in the commercial hub, some 200 km (120 miles) south of the capital Sanaa.

Gunmen loyal to the opposition were responding with medium and light fire, they said.


Related Content

Breaking news
January 20, 2018
Turkey says hits 108 Kurdish militant targets in Syria airstrikes

By REUTERS

Israel Weather
  • 6 - 17
    Beer Sheva
    9 - 18
    Tel Aviv - Yafo
  • 6 - 12
    Jerusalem
    8 - 16
    Haifa
  • 11 - 22
    Elat
    9 - 19
    Tiberias