PM: Israel still on high alert amid southern terror threat

By JPOST.COM STAFF
March 11, 2012 11:54

Prime Minister Binyamin Netanyahu on Sunday said that Israel was still in a state of alert amid a terror threat emanating from Sinai, despite the targeted killing Friday of the man believed to be planning the attack, Popular Resistance Committee leader Zuhair Qaisi.

Speaking at the opening of the weekly cabinet meeting, Netanyahu said that "on Friday a terror mastermind, responsible for organizing multiple terror attacks was assassinated. He was in the middle of plotting an additional act of terror."

The prime minister added that "we are still on alert for a terror attack from there, and I have ordered the closure of the road along the Egyptian border."

Netanyahu said that the IDF's operation to kill Qaisi had brought about an escalation of hostilities in the South in which the IDF was "striking with great force" and "exacting a high price" from terrorist organizations in Gaza.

The prime minister praised the effectiveness of the Iron Dome rocket-defense system, saying it had proven itself and he would work to deploy it more widely in the coming months.

Read full story here.


Related Content

Breaking news
April 24, 2018
Israel says will not forcibly deport migrants as previously planned

By JPOST.COM STAFF

Israel Weather
  • 16 - 31
    Beer Sheva
    17 - 25
    Tel Aviv - Yafo
  • 15 - 27
    Jerusalem
    16 - 27
    Haifa
  • 19 - 32
    Elat
    18 - 32
    Tiberias