PM warns against 'overreaching' on haredi draft

By
July 15, 2012 14:21

Even as envoys for Prime Minister Binyamin Netanyahu and Kadima head Shaul Mofaz continue to work on a compromise for a new universal service bill, Netanyahu warned the cabinet Sunday about "overreaching" and advocated a gradual approach to drafting haredim.

"I believe this process will only succeed if it is done gradually, but I want to say that the gradual approach we are discussing is very ambitious," he said.

According to Netanyahu, a number of years ago almost no haredim went into the army. "Last year that number stood at 2,400, and we are talking about bringing the number to 6,000 within four years."

Netanyahu characterized proposals to immediately calling into service all 18-year old haredim as "overreaching," and said this may actually decrease the number of haredim going into the service.

These proposals, he said, "are perhaps good for headlines, but it is doubtful if they are possible to implement."


Related Content

Breaking news
April 20, 2018
Report: China envoy says China will retaliate if U.S. insists on trade war

By REUTERS

Israel Weather
  • 16 - 27
    Beer Sheva
    18 - 23
    Tel Aviv - Yafo
  • 16 - 23
    Jerusalem
    16 - 22
    Haifa
  • 23 - 36
    Elat
    17 - 28
    Tiberias