Quebec disaster death toll jumps to 13, 37 still missing

By REUTERS
July 9, 2013 02:42




The death toll in Quebec's oil train disaster jumped to 13 people on Monday and police said about 37 more people were missing, a sign the derailment and explosion could be the worst accident in Canada since the Swissair crash of 1998.

Police said they estimated a total of around 50 people were either dead or missing after the gigantic blast destroyed dozens of buildings in the center of Lac-Megantic early on Saturday.

Previously they had said five people were dead and 40 were missing. Given the devastation in the town center, few residents expect any of the missing to be found alive.


Related Content

Breaking news
January 16, 2018
Russian, Iranian foreign ministers discuss Syria and Iran nuclear deal

By REUTERS

Israel Weather
  • 8 - 18
    Beer Sheva
    12 - 18
    Tel Aviv - Yafo
  • 7 - 13
    Jerusalem
    11 - 16
    Haifa
  • 12 - 22
    Elat
    11 - 18
    Tiberias