Report: Alleged Kletzky killer expected to take plea deal

By JPOST.COM STAFF
August 2, 2012 06:26

Levi Aron, the man accused of killing and dismembering 8-year-old ultra-Orthodox boy Leiby Kletzky in Brooklyn in July 2011 is expected to plead guilty to the crime as part pf a plea deal and face at least 40 years in prison, The New York Times quoted New York State Assemblyman Dov Hikind as saying on Wednesday.

Aron confessed to the crime last year, but his lawyer had subsequently suggested that the confession was coerced and he would field an insanity defense.

Hikind told The New York Times on Wednesday that Kletzky's family said they would accept the plea deal, "They very much were supportive if a deal could be reached, because the last thing they wanted was to have to live through the horror of those three days.”

According to the Times, a law enforcement official confirmed the terms of the plea deal, but the Brooklyn district attorney's office and Aron's lawyer declined to comment. Aron's plea is scheduled to take place on August 9.


Related Content

Breaking news
April 23, 2018
Lavrov: Russia and China to obstruct U.S. 'sabotage' of Iran nuclear deal

By REUTERS

Israel Weather
  • 14 - 25
    Beer Sheva
    14 - 22
    Tel Aviv - Yafo
  • 13 - 21
    Jerusalem
    14 - 22
    Haifa
  • 19 - 31
    Elat
    15 - 28
    Tiberias