Report: US requests North Korea talks on war remains

By REUTERS
August 9, 2011 05:34

SEOUL - The United States has requested talks with North Korea on ways to search for the remains of American troops killed during the 1950-53 Korean War, a South Korean media report said on Tuesday, amid an easing of tensions on the peninsula.

Washington's request came barely a week after US envoy Stephen Bosworth met veteran North Korean nuclear negotiator Kim Kye-gwan in New York. Both sides said the talks, the first such contact since 2009, had been constructive.

"The US recently sent a letter requesting a meeting on resuming remains recovery in North Korea," Major Carie Parker, spokeswoman at the Defense Prisoner of War/Missing Personnel Office (DPMO), told Yonhap News Agency in Washington.

"We have received no response from North Korean officials," she added.


Related Content

Breaking news
April 25, 2018
Trump's travel ban faces U.S. Supreme Court reckoning

By REUTERS

Israel Weather
  • 13 - 22
    Beer Sheva
    16 - 21
    Tel Aviv - Yafo
  • 12 - 19
    Jerusalem
    15 - 23
    Haifa
  • 18 - 28
    Elat
    16 - 29
    Tiberias