Saudi deaths in fight with Yemen rebels reach 113 since Nov.

By
January 21, 2010 15:19

The Saudi army has lost 113 troops since the kingdom launched a sweeping offensive against neighboring Yemen's Shi'ite rebels in early November, a military commander said in comments published Thursday.

The kingdom's well-funded but largely untested military joined the fray after Shiite rebels from Yemen crossed the border into Saudi Arabia on November 5, killing two Saudi border guards.

The Al Riyadh newspaper quoted Maj. Gen. Ali Zaid al-Khawaji as saying the dead include a senior Saudi officer whose body was found with those of two soldiers after a battle last week to drive rebels out of a border village.

The latest toll is a significant jump from last week, when assistant defense minister Prince Khaled bin Sultan said the Saudis had 82 dead and 470 wounded.


Related Content

Breaking news
February 23, 2018
Security forces arrest three in West Bank overnight raids

By JPOST.COM STAFF

Israel Weather
  • 10 - 21
    Beer Sheva
    11 - 20
    Tel Aviv - Yafo
  • 9 - 16
    Jerusalem
    10 - 18
    Haifa
  • 15 - 25
    Elat
    12 - 22
    Tiberias