Saudi troops to start leaving Bahrain

By REUTERS
June 28, 2011 17:28

RIYADH - Saudi Arabia will withdraw most of its security forces from neighboring Bahrain, where they helped quell protests in March, a Bahrain government source said on Tuesday.

Security forces from Saudi Arabia and the United Arab Emirates were sent into Bahrain in mid-March to help clear the streets of protesters who had been staging demonstrations since February. Emergency rule, imposed at the time, was lifted earlier this month.

"The Saudi troops will be withdrawn starting on Monday because their situation is getting much calmer," the source said.

Another source confirmed the withdrawal and said not all the troops would leave at once. About 1,000 Saudi soldiers entered Bahrain to protect government facilities.


Related Content

Breaking news
February 24, 2018
Syrian Observatory says strikes hit Ghouta after UN vote

By REUTERS

Israel Weather
  • 9 - 21
    Beer Sheva
    12 - 19
    Tel Aviv - Yafo
  • 9 - 15
    Jerusalem
    11 - 17
    Haifa
  • 14 - 26
    Elat
    11 - 21
    Tiberias