Shalom: Israel won't make concessions for resuming talks

By JPOST.COM STAFF
January 24, 2010 12:20

1 minute read.



Shalom: Israel won't make any more concessions for resuming peace talks


Decrease text size Decrease text size
Increase text size Increase text size





Following US Mideast envoy George Mitchell's apparent failure Friday to lure Palestinian Authority President Mahmoud Abbas back to peace talks, Vice Premier Silvan Shalom said the Palestinians had come up with "an invention of their own" in not agreeing to negotiations but demanding concessions - which, he stressed, Israel would make no more of.



Speaking to Israel Radio on Sunday morning, Shalom added that the Palestinians knew that they would also be ultimately required to make concessions and were using the US as pressure for preconditions.



"The time has come to clearly state that there will not be any more concessions for the resumption of negotiations," he said, adding that the ball was now firmly in the Palestinian court.



Concerning the Iranian nuclear threat, Shalom said that Israel could not tolerate a nuclear Iran.



"Israel was established to protect the Jewish people so that there would never be another Holocaust," he said. "And when Iran states clearly that Israel should be wiped off the map, and is developing weapons that will be able to do this, Israel cannot just sit back."



Shalom said US President Barack Obama understood that after a year, the carrot method was not working with the Islamic republic. He said Washington realized that Teheran's nuclear arms pursuit posed a danger to the entire world and that the road had been paved for sanctions.


Related Content

Breaking news
February 19, 2018
Wreckage of an Iranian plane was found in central Iran

By REUTERS

Israel Weather
  • 8 - 18
    Beer Sheva
    10 - 18
    Tel Aviv - Yafo
  • 8 - 13
    Jerusalem
    11 - 16
    Haifa
  • 13 - 23
    Elat
    10 - 20
    Tiberias