Soccer stadium hearing threatens Egypt with more unrest
CAIRO - Egyptian soccer fans have threatened violence on Saturday if a court does not deliver the justice they seek for 74 people killed in a stadium disaster.
The hearing over the Port Said disaster in February follows unrest on Friday that killed five people and injured more than 330 during anti-government protests on the second anniversary of the uprising against Hosni Mubarak.
The court had been due to rule on Saturday in the cases brought against 73 people, 61 of whom are charged with murder in what was Egypt's worst stadium disaster.
However, the public prosecutor has said new evidence has emerged, meaning a verdict may be postponed.
Another 12 defendants, including nine police officers, are accused of helping to cause the Feb. 1, 2012, disaster at the end of a match between Cairo's Al Ahly and al-Masri, the local side.