South Sudan accuses Sudan of new attack

By REUTERS
April 10, 2012 18:23




KHARTOUM - South Sudan said on Tuesday that Sudan had attacked a disputed oil-producing border region with warplanes and artillery, in the latest flare-up of violence that has delayed a summit between the former civil war foes.

The South Sudanese army (SPLA) said the town of Teshwin in the border area had come under attack late on Monday and that fighting was continuing on Tuesday. Sudan's armed forces spokesman Al-Sawarmi Khalid Saad could not immediately be reached for comment on his mobile phone.

South Sudan, which seceded in July, has been locked in a bitter dispute with Khartoum over oil payments and other issues, and clashes in the ill-defined border region last month raised concerns they might escalate into full-blown war.

"They launched a new attack, and occupied southern territory until the SPLA repulsed them," said Philip Aguer, a spokesman for the South's forces, Sudan People's Liberation Army. "Fighting continued today and is still ongoing."

He said the Sudanese ground forces had started their attack from the disputed area of Heglig, where Sudan controls an oil field that accounts for roughly half of its 115,000 barrel a day output.


Related Content

Breaking news
February 18, 2018
Iranian passenger plane carrying 66 people crashes in central Iran

By REUTERS

Israel Weather
  • 9 - 18
    Beer Sheva
    13 - 18
    Tel Aviv - Yafo
  • 9 - 14
    Jerusalem
    13 - 17
    Haifa
  • 12 - 23
    Elat
    13 - 19
    Tiberias