PESHAWAR, Pakistan - Pakistan-based Taliban fighters opened fire on a group of police officers investigating a June massacre of foreign climbers, killing three, officials said on Tuesday.
The Pakistani Taliban claimed responsibility for the June 22-23 pre-dawn attack when gunmen dressed as policemen stormed a base camp on Pakistan's second-highest peak of Nanga Parbat, killing 10 foreign climbers and a local guide.
The attack shocked the international climbing community and several expeditions to Pakistan have been cancelled, depriving its starving economy of much-needed cash at the height of the climbing season.
A group of Pakistani officers investigating the massacre came under attack in the troubled Diamar district of Gilgit-Baltistan province of northern Pakistan late on Monday. Gunmen opened fire on their motorcade.
"Though no major arrests have been made so far related to the June 23 shooting of foreigners, these officials were investigating the killings of foreigners," a senior security official told Reuters.
Stay on top of the news - get the Jerusalem Post headlines direct to your inbox!