Turkey: 'Main perpetrator' of bombing that killed 51 held

By REUTERS
June 11, 2013 16:51

ANKARA - Turkey said it had detained a "main perpetrator" of the bombings that killed 51 people near the Syrian border last month, adding that the Turkish man had been caught as he tried to flee over the frontier.

Turkey has accused Syria of involvement in the twin attacks in the border town of Reyhanli on May 11, but Damascus has denied any role.

The provincial governor's office in Hatay Province where Reyhanli is located, said on Tuesday it had detained one of the bombers as he tried to cross into Syria.

Police had been searching for the man. Last month, police detained more than 15 people in relation to the bombings, including another alleged "perpetrator". Four people have been charged.

Government ministers have said the bombings - among the deadliest attacks in Turkey's modern history - were carried out by a group with ties to the government of Syrian President Bashar Assad.


Related Content

Breaking news
April 25, 2018
Busloads of migrants from 'caravan' arrive at U.S.-Mexico border

By REUTERS

Israel Weather
  • 15 - 22
    Beer Sheva
    17 - 21
    Tel Aviv - Yafo
  • 14 - 20
    Jerusalem
    17 - 23
    Haifa
  • 19 - 28
    Elat
    17 - 30
    Tiberias