LONDON - Britain said on Thursday it was urgently investigating media reports that a father-of-seven from Manchester had been shot dead in Libya.
Friends of Khaled Att-ardi from Whalley Range said he had been killed in the oil port of Brega on Wednesday, according to media reports.
The Foreign Office said it was aware of the reports and was "urgently investigating" them. Relatives have said he had travelled to Libya last week to help relatives caught up in the unrest.
It was not immediately known whether Att-ardi is a British national. No British citizens have so far been killed in the uprising.
Nandi Handi, a close family friend, told the BBC: "I am shocked. All the children are crying. Nobody believes it. Everything is not fair, it is horrible."