UK official says expansion of Gilo 'deeply worrying'

By JPOST.COM STAFF
October 20, 2012 09:03




Britain's Foreign Office Minister Alistair Burt spoke out on Friday against plans to approve some 800 housing units in Gilo, labeling the plan "deeply worrying."

In a statement, the foreign office minister said the UK had been clear that settlements were illegal and undermined the two-state solution.

"It is deeply worrying that despite repeatedly raising our concerns, Israel continues to press ahead with plans to expand them. I therefore strongly condemn yesterday’s news," Burt said.

"This move is contrary to Israel’s stated commitments to both the two-state solution and to upholding international law. We urge Israel to reverse this decision and take no further steps to expand settlements."

Related Content
Breaking news
October 23, 2017
Catalan leader to lose all powers once Senate approves direct rule

By REUTERS

Israel Weather
  • 14 - 28
    Beer Sheva
    17 - 26
    Tel Aviv - Yafo
  • 15 - 24
    Jerusalem
    18 - 24
    Haifa
  • 20 - 31
    Elat
    19 - 30
    Tiberias