UN probes new charges of peacekeeper abuse in Haiti

By REUTERS
December 16, 2011 23:14

UNITED NATIONS - The United Nations said on Friday it was investigating allegations of assault and attempted homicide by peacekeepers in Haiti, the latest charges of misconduct to be leveled against the blue-helmeted force.

Local media have alleged that a group of Brazilian peacekeepers working for the UN mission in Haiti, known as MINUSTAH, severely beat and left for dead three young Haitian men earlier this week.

"The mission is doing everything it can to establish the facts as soon as possible," UN spokesman Farhan Haq told reporters.

"It (MINUSTAH) reiterates its zero tolerance policy regarding misconduct of its personnel and will examine all allegations with the utmost seriousness," he said.


Related Content

Breaking news
April 19, 2018
Suspect in anti-Semitic attack in Berlin turns himself in

By REUTERS

Israel Weather
  • 15 - 30
    Beer Sheva
    18 - 25
    Tel Aviv - Yafo
  • 15 - 26
    Jerusalem
    16 - 25
    Haifa
  • 20 - 36
    Elat
    17 - 32
    Tiberias