UN to release Congo 'genocide' report in October

By ASSOCIATED PRESS
September 2, 2010 17:23




GENEVA— The UN's top human rights official says the release of a report accusing the Rwandan army of possible genocide in Congo in the 1990s will be delayed, after Rwanda angrily protested the findings in a draft version.

UN High Commissioner for Human Rights Navi Pillay says the report will be published Oct. 1 with comments from concerned countries.

Rwanda protested a draft leaked last week, threatening to pull its troops from UN peacekeeping missions.

Pillay said in a statement Thursday that "following requests, we have decided to give concerned states a further month to comment on the draft."

The report details more than 600 incidents of human rights abuses in eastern Congo between 1993 and 2003 in which tens of thousands of people were killed.


Related Content

Breaking news
January 17, 2018
Israel-India spike missile deal back on, says Netanyahu

By JPOST.COM STAFF

Israel Weather
  • 8 - 16
    Beer Sheva
    12 - 16
    Tel Aviv - Yafo
  • 8 - 11
    Jerusalem
    11 - 15
    Haifa
  • 11 - 20
    Elat
    11 - 17
    Tiberias