UN to release Congo 'genocide' report in October

By ASSOCIATED PRESS
September 2, 2010 23:20




GENEVA – A report detailing hundreds of gruesome attacks against civilians in Congo over a 10-year period won't be released until October, the UN's top human rights official said Thursday, after Rwanda angrily protested the findings in a draft version.

Drafts of the report — circulated to governments earlier this year and leaked to the media last week — accused Rwandan troops and rebel allies tied to the current Congolese president of slaughtering tens of thousands of Hutus in Congo in the 1990s.

Rwanda has reacted angrily to the claim that this may have constituted genocide or crimes against humanity, and threatened to pull its troops from UN peacekeeping missions if the report was published unchanged, claiming the five-year study was "fatally flawed" and "incredibly irresponsible."

UN High Commissioner for Human Rights Navi Pillay said in a statement that the report will now be released Oct. 1 in order to allow affected governments time to publish their comments alongside the final version.


Related Content

Breaking news
January 20, 2018
Afghan official: Gunmen attacked Kabul's Intercontinental Hotel

By REUTERS

Israel Weather
  • 6 - 17
    Beer Sheva
    9 - 18
    Tel Aviv - Yafo
  • 6 - 12
    Jerusalem
    8 - 16
    Haifa
  • 11 - 22
    Elat
    9 - 19
    Tiberias