UN to send first food aid to flood-hit North Korea

August 4, 2012 10:57

SEOUL - The World Food Program (WFP) will send a first batch of emergency food aid to North Korea, where a series of deluges and a typhoon killed nearly 120 people and left more than 84,000 others homeless last month, the agency has said.

In a statement published on its website on Friday, the United Nations aid body said the emergency assistance will provide the flood victims in the destitute country "with an initial ration of 400 grams of maize per day for 14 days."

It did not say when the food would arrive in North Korea.

According to reports from the United Nations and Pyongyang's official KCNA news agency, storms and downpours have caused severe flooding in a wide area of the country, and have destroyed more than 45,000 hectares of farmland.

A United Nations mission which recently visited the affected regions found considerable damage to maize, soybean and rice fields, the WFP statement said.

Related Content

Breaking news
March 22, 2018
China says must protect interests in face of U.S. trade actions


Israel Weather
  • 19 - 34
    Beer Sheva
    19 - 31
    Tel Aviv - Yafo
  • 20 - 29
    20 - 29
  • 25 - 35
    18 - 33