ADEN - An apparent US drone attack killed at least five al-Qaida-linked militants in south Yemen on Saturday while Yemeni government forces killed 15 others in a new offensive against insurgents, officials and residents said.
An air strike believed to have been carried out by a US drone set a vehicle on fire, killing its passengers in the southeastern province of Shabwa, a regional official told Reuters. Residents said at least five militants had died.
It was the latest in a series of reported drone assaults on militants in the south of the impoverished Arab country who exploited mass protests last year against then-President Ali Abdullah Saleh to seize large swathes of territory, including Zinjibar, the capital of restive Abyan province.
Jerusalem Post Annual Conference. Buy it now, Special offer. Come meet Israel's top leaders