US examines Kenya information about foreign link to mall attack

By REUTERS
September 24, 2013 00:46




WASHINGTON- US authorities are urgently looking into information given by the Kenyan government that residents of Western countries, including the United States, may have been among armed militants who attacked a Nairobi shopping mall over the weekend, killing at least 62 people, US security sources said.

Kenyan officials said their forces were "in control" of the mall and combing it floor by floor looking for anyone left behind. They said they believed all hostages had been freed.

A US national security source said that the United States had been notified through official channels that Kenyan authorities now believed that foreigners, likely including US citizens or residents, were among the gunmen who attacked the mall.

Reuters on Monday quoted Julius Karangi, Kenya's chief of general staff, saying that the attackers included gunmen from several countries. "We have an idea who they are, their nationality and even the number," Karangi said.


Related Content

Breaking news
January 23, 2018
Kremlin, after Putin-Erdogan call, says Syria's sovereignty must be respected

By REUTERS

Israel Weather
  • 9 - 18
    Beer Sheva
    13 - 18
    Tel Aviv - Yafo
  • 8 - 12
    Jerusalem
    11 - 15
    Haifa
  • 12 - 22
    Elat
    12 - 19
    Tiberias