US tells Egypt to do more in talks with opposition

By ASSOCIATED PRESS
February 3, 2011 23:13

WASHINGTON — The United States believes the Egyptian government's democratic efforts have been insufficient.

US State Department spokesman P.J. Crowley said Egyptian Vice President Omar Suleiman's meetings with opposition figures so far "are not broad enough, not credible enough."

Crowley said the US wanted Egypt's government to do more. And he urged the opposition to participate in dialogue.

He also said there were strong indications that attacks on journalists in Cairo were part of a concerted effort to stifle reporting on the crisis. He did not blame Mubarak or the government, though.

Crowley said US  President Barack Obama's envoy to Egypt, Frank Wisner, briefed Secretary of State Hillary Rodham Clinton on the situation in Egypt earlier Thursday.

Crowley said Clinton spoke Thursday with Jordan's King Abdullah II.


Related Content

Breaking news
April 23, 2018
Brussels judge starts to deliver verdict against Paris attacks suspect

By REUTERS

Israel Weather
  • 14 - 25
    Beer Sheva
    14 - 22
    Tel Aviv - Yafo
  • 13 - 21
    Jerusalem
    14 - 22
    Haifa
  • 19 - 31
    Elat
    15 - 28
    Tiberias