White House says new approach may be needed in Syria

ByREUTERS
May 3, 2012 20:56




WASHINGTON - The White House condemned the raid of a Syrian student protest on Thursday and said a new international approach may be needed if a UN-backed peace plan fails, accusing Syrian President Bashar Assad of making "no effort" to implement it so far.

"If the regime's intransigence continues, the international community is going to have to admit defeat and work to address the serious threat to peace and stability being perpetrated by the Assad regime," White House spokesman Jay Carney said.

"Political transition is urgently needed in Syria. It is certainly our hope that the Annan plan succeeds," he said, referring to the plan crafted by former UN chief Kofi Annan. "We remain, based on the evidence, highly skeptical of Assad's willingness to meet the conditions of that plan, because he has so clearly failed to meet them thus far."

Related Content
Breaking news
September 20, 2017
France's National Front on verge of split after election setback

By REUTERS