Last remaining seats to the Jpost 2017 Annual Conference! Get your special offer now

Yemeni al-Qaida says attack on hospital was mistake

ByREUTERS
December 22, 2013 07:29

SANAA - Al-Qaida's wing in Yemen blamed a renegade fighter for targeting medics and patients in a military hospital during its attack on the Defense Ministry compound in Sanaa earlier this month, it said in a statement released on Saturday.

"We do not fight in this way, and this not what we call on people to do, and this is not our approach," it said in the statement, adding it had warned its fighters not to attack the hospital.

The killing of unarmed medics and patients, captured on closed-circuit television footage and broadcast by state media, caused widespread outrage in Yemen, where al Qaeda has portrayed itself as fighting for normal people against foreign drone strikes.

Share this article via
from around the web
Related Content
Breaking news
April 23, 2017
First French election ballots cast in Paris

By REUTERS

Top Stories
Israel Weather
  • 14 - 23
    Beer Sheva
    15 - 21
    Tel Aviv - Yafo
  • 10 - 18
    Jerusalem
    14 - 18
    Haifa
  • 17 - 32
    Elat
    16 - 25
    Tiberias